Susty Opportunities: The Ashinaga Africa Initiative
The Ashinaga Africa Initiative was established in 2014 to contribute to Sub-Saharan Africa’s expanding role in global development through increasing access to higher education abroad. The Initiative supports orphaned students who are committed to returning home and initiating change, by providing access to full financial support to study at a university abroad (equivalent to an undergraduate degree).
Ashinaga support covers tuition, accommodation, travel costs, and other necessary fees.
- Have lost one or both parents;
- Have completed 12 years of education (primary and secondary school) within the last two years;
- Were born after 1st October, 1996;
- Have an outstanding academic performance at high school and were amongst the top students in their class;
- Be willing to return home, or to Sub-Saharan Africa, and contribute to society in Sub-Saharan Africa after graduating from university;
- Completed application form
- Working email address and telephone number
- Document proving the death of one or both parents, such as a death certificate
- Proof of age, such as a birth certificate, national ID or passport
- Secondary school/high school graduation certificate
- Results from final national exams
- Academic report cards from the last two years of high school/secondary school
- Passport-style photo of yourself
Applications are open between 16th September – 16th December 2018. Successful applicants will be invited to a second application round in late January which will be open between 28th January – 28th February 2019. This second round will include additional questions and essays to help us better understand your leadership potential and how you intend to use your university education to help others in the future.
Successful applicants from the second round will be invited to an assessment day in April 2019 where Ashinaga conducts individual interviews and sets an examination to better understand students’ academic abilities and career goals in Sub-Saharan Africa. Students must bring all original academic documents and identification documents to the interview. Failure to do so may result in dismissal from the application process.
Visit here for full details.