The Global Goals aka Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are the 17 goals aimed at ending poverty, protecting the planet and ensuring prosperity for all. These goals will provide the blueprint for the world’s development over the next 15 years. They have replaced the popular Millennium Development Goals – MDGs
On the 23rd of September 2015, one of the biggest days in the development world The 17 Global Goals were ratified by 193 UN member states in New York and became active from Jan 1st 2016.
The goals are really very simple:
- End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
It is important that we as young people in developing countries know these and understand these goals because they are actually for us. I am very passionate about Goals 1,4,5,7,13.
What about you?